Keiji Hiramoto Jr.
| hiramotojr(at)gmail(dot)com | linkedin.com/in/hiramotojr |
University of Washington // Graduated January 2015
Bachelor of Arts in Communication
Honors: Dean’s List: Autumn 2010, Spring 2011, Spring 2012, Summer 2012, Winter 2013
Research: Undergraduate Research Symposium Spring 2013: "Japanese American communities after World War II", “Media and the Portrayal of ‘Broke’ NBA Players”
BH Media/Hickory Daily Record // December 2015 – Present
- Covered city, county and education beats, in addition to providing coverage for breaking news.
- Supervised staff writers, freelance reporters and photographer as the substiture news editor on a fill-in basis. Developed skills such as leadership, news budgeting, copy editing and journalism ethics.
Cox Media Group // September– November 2015
- Covered the Texas A&M athletics beat for SEC Country, a website owned by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Published over a hundred blog posts and stories for the website. Gained experience with writing under strict deadlines and fact checking original and relayed content through aggregate reporting.
Assistant Social Media Director
Cox Media Group // October– November 2015
- Responsible for sharing published content on SEC Country and AJC’s Facebook pages.
- Copy edits hundreds of drafted and published content each week before sharing stories and blog posts to emailed newsletters. Gained formal experience in the editing process of journalism.
Sports News Assistant
The Seattle Times // September 2014 – August 2015
- Gained community outreach experience through conducting thousands of phone calls with high school coaches and athletic directors as means of gathering final scores, injury reports, and roster updates.
- Improved on skills related to fact-checking, reporting breaking sports news, and social media outreach.Posted weekly blogs updates on high school student athletes and the decisions they make in choosing which colleges to attend under an athletic scholarship. Also responsible for posting Tweets of any breaking news related to the college commitments from the student athletes.
Freelance News Writer
Pacific Publishing Company Inc. // January 2015 – December 2015
- Covered community and city issues for Queen Anne-Magnolia News and City Living newspapers.
- Gained experiences with enterprise reporting by attending community council meetings, speaking with various city officials and getting long form features and news stories published by my editor.
News Writer and Assistant News Editor
The Daily | University of Washington, Seattle // January 2013- January 2015
- Served as the transportation beat writer and science section writer for the UW student newspaper.
- Produced news content under strict deadlines while working for a daily print publication.
- Alternate news editor from September to December 2014. Became proficient with publishing stories on softwares like Wordpress and Adobe InCopy, editing other reporter’s news stories, and copy edits in AP Style.
Seattle Transit Blog // July- September 2014
- Covered stories on all things public transportation and roads in the Seattle metropolitan area.
- Produced news content while being under minimal supervision from blog editors. Gained experiences with independent reporting and meeting deadlines for online publications.
Seattle Post-Intelligencer // January– April 2014
- Responsible for providing news content for the Pot Blog and Big Science Blog.
- Produced news stories, galleries and leads on topics related to marijuana rights, politics and scientific research.
Freelance Production Runner
Entertainment Partners // September 2013 – November 2015
- Served as stage manager in the broadcast booth during intercollegiate sporting events covered by Pac-12 Networks. Distributed scripts and gave speech queues to on-air talents like the play-by-play announcers and color commentators. Paid attention to the small details by following broadcast protocols such as queuing station breaks and advertisement drops for on-air talents to recite.
KCTS 9 Television, Seattle // September 2013 – January 2014
- Assisted in background research and pitched story ideas for program’s segment QUEST Science.
- Wrote interview scripts and transcriptions for segments related to environmental sustainability.
Editorial and Web Intern
Seattle Weekly, Seattle // June– August 2013
Activities: Secretary of Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) – Seattle Chapter. I also mentor college journalists for both AAJA and my alma mater, University of Washington. Contributor for NPR-affiliate station KPLU in Seattle from April-June 2014.
Languages: Bilingual – English and Japanese
Technical Skills: Proficient in MS Word, MS Publisher, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Avid Central (Video editing), Audacity (sound editing), Soundslides (voiceover articles), Photography (Photojournalism Portfolio: htthiramotojr.com/photos), Tableau, Adobe After Effects, Newsletters via MailChimp.com, Wordpress, Squarespace (journalism webpage: http://hiramotojr.com/), Blox, Falcon, Indeed, eBlast, Slack
Social Media Skills: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Tumblr, Hootsuite, Storify, Muck Rack, Reddit